Climate Advisers, a mission-driven consulting firm with a growing non-profit affiliate, seeks a Managing Director of Communications to oversee and provide leadership to all communications strategies, platforms and tactics, strengthen its communications culture, and grow its communications consulting practice. The position is based in Washington, DC.
About Climate Advisers
Climate Advisers is a policy and politics shop working to deliver the post-carbon economy. In the United States and around the world, Climate Advisers creates and implements large-scale, cost-effective strategies to strengthen climate action and improve lives. The firm conducts this work in partnership with leading philanthropies, think tanks, advocacy groups, international institutions, companies and governments. The firm’s work to reduce emissions from deforestation is its largest practice area. Communicating to investors, financial analysts and asset managers the material risks associated with climate change is the firm’s fastest growing area of work. Climate Advisers’ traditional core competency and international reputation stems from expertise in climate diplomacy. The firm works in many other areas as well, including aviation, renewable energy, energy efficiency, carbon pricing, supply chains, advocacy campaigns and more.
B Corporation Status
Climate Advisers is proud to be a Certified B Corporation, a new kind of company that meets higher standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. Learn more about B Corporations at bcorporation.net. Climate Advisers also coordinates with its non-profit affiliate Climate Advisers Trust (www.ca-trust.org)
The Managing Director of Communications would have three primary responsibilities, which in priority order are:
Communications Strategy. The Managing Director would be responsible for devising and executing a broad communications strategy for the organization. This would include:
Digital. Managing the organization’s brand, visual identity, websites and social media platforms.
Press. Cultivating media relationships, pitching press stories and preparing press releases.
Peer Relationships. Gathering intelligence from and coordinating with communications professionals in partner organizations.
Products. Managing production and distribution of reports, papers and online subscriptions.
Elite Outreach. Assisting the CEO and other senior members of the firm manage and mobilize policy makers, business executives, civil society heads and opinion leaders.
Communications Practice. The Managing Director would also be responsible for building, leading and fundraising for a vibrant strategic communications consulting practice within Climate Advisers, comprised of executing communications-focused projects for existing and new clients. Though the ideal candidate would have some existing client relationships and fundraising experience, motivated applicants hungry to develop new projects would also be considered.
Lead Writer. The Managing Director would serve as a primary writer for non-technical written products, including promotional materials, short summaries of political issues in various publications, project summaries for general audiences, website materials and fundraising proposals.
The Managing Director would be supported initially by a Communications Intern, with the possibility to lead the hiring process for a Communications Associate at a later date.
The Managing Director of Communications should possess the following set of professional qualifications and personal attributes:
• Ten to fifteen years managing climate or sustainability related communications projects
• Deep knowledge of communications strategies and tactics
• Existing network of journalists and communications professionals
• Experience managing clients, projects and personnel
• Experience leading fundraising efforts and proposal development
• Expertise on social media and communications platforms
• Graduate degree essential
• Proven leadership skills with experience managing a small team with minimal direction
• Personal creativity and strategic vision coupled with an ability to listen to others and learn from their best ideas
• Ability to convene, mediate and facilitate discussions among senior stakeholders
• Excels with rapidly changing political circumstances, client priorities and business opportunities
• Ability to manage, prioritize, and multi-task on multiple projects
• Comfortable working in a small, non-traditional organization
• Proven ability to work collaboratively and enjoys building relationships with diverse groups and individuals
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills, with the established ability to educate and persuade
• Exceptional communication skills in English, both oral and written, and preferably knowledge of foreign languages (e.g. Spanish, French, Portuguese or Bahasa)
Immediate opening; applications made through the online portal will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy
Climate Advisers is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and strives to select the best-qualified person for each position in the organization. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. Firm management is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment advertising, pay and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.